
The Patriots signed Elliss to a two-year contract extension this offseason.
The New England Patriots had to make a decision on linebacker Christian Elliss in this year’s free agency, and then they had to do so a second time.
Entering the offseason as a restricted free agent, the Patriots originally tendered Elliss at the right-of-first-refusal level. That decision left the door open for other teams to come in and sign him to an offer sheet, which is exactly what the Las Vegas Raiders did.
The Patriots were then tasked with either committing to Elliss at an increased financial level, or letting him walk without gaining any compensation in return. They opted for the first of those routes.
Speaking to reporters at the NFL meetings in Palm Beach on Monday, head coach Mike Vrabel gave insight into what he said was “a difficult decision.”
“We ultimately decided that a young, ascending player that has his skillset and speed we feel like can do a lot of different things for us, and that his arrow was up,” Vrabel said. “We felt like we wanted to keep him on our roster. In order to do that, we had to match the offer sheet.”
A former rookie free agent who spent time in Minnesota, San Francisco and Philadelphia early on in his career, Elliss found his way to New England late during the 2023 season. Within 12 months, he went from special teams waiver claim to emergency starter at the linebacker position — a process that has been mostly positive in the team’s eyes.
As a consequence, the Patriots made the call to retain him via a two-year contract extension worth $13.51 million.
“Christian is excited, by all accounts. We’re excited to have him,” said Vrabel. “This is a player that the more he played, the better he got. Was very good on third down and fourth down. And first and second down, the more he played, the better he got.”
Re-signing Elliss has been one of several moves at the linebacker position so far this offseason. The Patriots also brought in free agents Robert Spillane and Jack Gibbens, and parted ways with longtime starter and team captain Ja’Whaun Bentley.
As of Monday, that process left New England with five players in the room; besides Elliss, Spillane and Gibbens, the team also has Jahlani Tavai and Monty Rice under contract for 2025. More moves are expected to happen, but Elliss’ place on the linebacker depth chart is secure — even though it took two decisions to get there.